Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Taste and Create - Super Easy Tomato Basil Cream Pasta

For this month’s Taste and Create, an event created by Nicole over at For the Love of Food, I was paired with One Hot Stove, a blogger from my back yard: St. Louis. She decided to make my chimichurri sauce. One Hot Stove doesn’t use meat in her blog, so I knew I was in for a new combination of foods.

I chose to make Super Quick Tomato Basil Cream Pasta. The only problem is that I had no basil. I chose to use Arugula in place of the basil. The new combination for me was the raw cashews with tomatoes. I have in the past used pine nuts and walnuts in sauces, but never raw cashews. I loved the combination. It was fragrant and nutty and just plain delicious. I also added some mizithra cheese at the end, substituted regular pasta for the whole wheat, and added some pasta water to thin out the sauce a bit along with white wine. I really liked the easy factor this dish has. For us it is a great side dish, or a base for an accompanying dish. Dinner can be made in a jiffy! This pasta would be great with a salad or a grilled vegetable.

I love Taste and Create as it allows me to try new dishes and combinations I wouldn’t think of using. I learned something new today and will be cooking with raw cashews in the future – good thing I like them, I have quite a few left over! What follows is the original recipe with my changes in parenthesis. Have a great day!
Super Quick Tomato Basil Cream Pasta

1 Large, ripe tomato (2 cups roughly chopped, 1 1/2 cups blended)
1/2 Cup Raw Cashews
1 Tbs Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup Water
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2-4 Cloves Garlic, minced, optional (I used 4)
6 Ounces (ish) Whole Wheat Spaghetti (I used regular spaghetti)
1 tsp Salt (edit: upped from 3/4!)
2-3 Tbs Wine or Water, optional (I also added some pasta water)
1-2 tsp Freshly Cracked, Coarse Black Pepper
1 Large Handful Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped (I used arugula)
¾ cup shredded mizithra cheese shredded

Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
Core the tomato, and roughly chop it. Add it to your blender, seeds, skin and all. Add cashews, tomato paste, and water. Blend until very smooth.
Add olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden, being careful not to burn. Once water is boiling, add pasta. Pour sauce from the blender into the sauté pan and bring to a simmer. Add salt and let cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If desired add wine/water to thin out the sauce. Taste and season more if necessary. Let simmer until pasta is finished cooking. Once pasta is cooked, drain. Add pasta to the sauté pan with black pepper and freshly chopped basil leaves. Toss to coat. Serve immediately, garnishing with more pepper and basil.

Have a great day – Presto Pasta entry is really coming; I promise!!!!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Hey! I bet I know where the tomatoes came from in your dish! :-)

Nupur said...

That looks delicious, Katie! This recipe was my favorite one this month- the combination of cashews and tomatoes is just so creamy and delicious.

Katie's blog said...

Beth, you are right - they are your tomatoes!

Nuper, the sauce was very creamy, and I was quite surprised! I have more cashews, I am trying more sauces with them.

Katie's blog said...

Nupur, I didn't mean to spell your name wrong! I am sorry!