Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Turkey, Turkey, and More Turkey

If you watch Robin Miller, she tries to take one meat and make it into more than one meal. I was able to do that this past week with turkey breast tenderloins. I had seen them at the grocery store and got a great idea for pasta. I thought that turkey bacon club pasta sounded good, so I bought some tenderloins. If you have never bought turkey breast tenderloins, I am here to tell you that they are very large.

I came home, marinated them in a rosemary lemon Dijon marinade, and roasted them in the oven. After making my pasta I had a lot left over, so I put it away and thought about what to make with the rest of the turkey.

In addition to the turkey I had left over, I had also been mulling over trying very hard to be much better about using everything in my fridge. I had tried this one time before, but I got sick, so I am trying again to just use what I have one hand for a while.

Back to the turkey. I made my Turkey Bacon Club Pasta, had a bunch left over, made a salad with the turkey and bacon that I cooked, and then made a different version of turkey and noodles. All in all, I think the food turned out really well, and I was impressed with myself that I didn’t go buy a bunch of new ingredients to make the other two dishes.

The Turkey Bacon Club Pasta is my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta, and event created by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast. This week Amy from Very Culinary is hosting.

Turkey Bacon Club Pasta

Marinade

1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 large sprigs rosemary
¼ cup or less red wine vinegar
¾ cup olive oil
Sugar – to taste if bitter

Mix all ingredients together and drizzle olive oil in to create an emulsion.

Marinate turkey tenderloins in marinade for 2-3 hours. I cut my turkey into long strips to make it cook more quickly.

Cook turkey in a 425 degree oven until just underdone, or grill over medium high heat until just underdone.

Pasta

One lb. pasta your choice – just undercooked
Olive oil – 3 turns around a large skillet
4 cloves garlic, minced
¾ - 1 lb cooked turkey breast tenderloin – diced or shredded
½ ¾ cup white wine
1 ½ cup chicken stock
2 tsp poultry seasoning
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 slices cooked bacon, diced
2 ½ oz baby arugula
6-8 sundried tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 cup sour cream
½ cup mizithra cheese, grated

Cook pasta according to package directions, but leave undercooked to finish in sauce. while pasta is cooking, sauté garlic in olive oil until softened. Add poultry seasoning, wine, and stock, bring to a boil and reduce by about a quarter. While at a simmer, add sour cream and mustard, stir to combine. Add turkey and pasta stir. Keep heat on low and allow mixture to thicken. As pasta dish thickens, add bacon, tomatoes, and arugula. Sauce will thicken upon standing. Sprinkle with grated mizithra cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Serve.

Tukey Noodle Casserole

1 lb cooked turkey breast tenderloin – cooked and drained
8-9 oz spaghetti noodles, cooked
1 quart chicken or turkey stock
2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp butter, melted
Grated mizithra cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring stock to a boil, add noodles and cook. After noodles are cooked, slowly add roux mixture and thicken to desired consistency. Add turkey and mix. Pour into pan – grease if necessary. Sprinkle cheese on top and heat in oven until cheese melts and mixture boils at edges and is heated through, about 20 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes and serve.

All dishes were yummy!!!! Back with more soon! Have a great day!

4 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Both look wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. Turkey and pasta are both so versatile, I bet we could come up with at least a half dozen variations that would all be different.

Katie's blog said...

I know - I love trying to make up dinners with what I have in the fridge.

Joanne said...

Everyone loves a good club sandwich, but I think you take it to another level with the pasta, arugula, and sun-dried tomatoes. Very classy!

Katie's blog said...

It was very good too. This is a dish I plan on making again!!