Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pancakes and Family Recipes

This is a new blogging event for me that I hope to get the chance to post again. Shelby from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch is hosting a blogging event called Family Recipes. I told her I would be more than happy to submit a post as I had tons of family recipes. I don’t know, however, what happened to me this month. I had all kinds of plans for great recipes and stories to tell, but, well life gets in the way. What I do have is a story and memories surrounded by food that was made with love.

I know I have talked about my granddad’s pancakes before, but I made pancakes this morning for the kids, and this has become a special time in our family as well. We did have to argue about what flavor pancakes we made – we settled on regular pancakes as I had just made blue cornmeal pancakes the last time I made pancakes. Actually cooking and eating as a family has become special for us; the boys like to be involved in the decision making for meal and have their favorites they like us to make. In fact, last night over a great dinner of pasta with roasted tomato pesto and fish from Bob’s Seafood Company, we started talking about The Next FoodNetwork Star’s finale show tonight. My little one said that we should make our favorite foods to celebrate this occasion. If we were to do that, we would be eating Pasta with Pesto, spaghetti, fries, baked beans, shrimp on the grill, cooked spinach, pork steak, and mashed potatoes. We don’t have enough time in one day to cook all that, but the thought is cool.

Anyway, back to this post. What I remember most about growing up is the fact that both sets of grandparents always tried to make the foods we loved. One of my favorites was my grandma’s fried potatoes and pumpkin pie. Another favorite was my granddad’s pancakes. I loved watching him cook them every Saturday for me. He did this for years, and I can still see him mixing and stirring and talking about the benefits of buckwheat – his pancakes were always made from scratch. So this entry is dedicated to those in my family who fostered my love for food and family togetherness. I will never forget sitting at the table picking at scraps of food left on the platters, eating holiday leftovers, planning menus with Grandma – both of them, getting excited about going somewhere not only because of the family members I would see, but also – and maybe more importantly, depending on my age, what food was going to be served. Food and family are so intertwined in my life – I hope it is the same for my kids.

Pancakes from the Betty Crocker Cookbook

1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
¾ cup milk
1 tbsp granulated or packed brown sugar – I use brown
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
Margarine or shortening

Beat egg in medium bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients except margarine until just smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in additional 1 to 2 tablespoons milk.

Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375 degrees. Grease griddle with margarine if necessary. For each pancake, pour in slightly less than ¼ cup batter. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook on other side until golden brown.

7 comments:

HoneyB said...

Ok, so this post really put tears in my eyes. This is a very heartfelt post! Thanks Katie for particiating - it was definitely worth the wait. Also, the pancakes look AWESOME. Sunday mornings are normally pancake day here for us too.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for your lovely words! I can't wait until next month! And I am looking forward to your round up!!

Laura said...

Perfect pancakes (so fluffy) and even more perfect submission! Great story and I am glad you still make pancakes like he did. Thanks for submitting, I hope you do in August also (when I am hosting).

Mark said...

I can't think of Buckwheat pancakes without thinking of Granddad or The Farm.

Great post, Sis...

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for all your wonderful words! When all is said and done it is the memories we are left with. Isn't it great that we can relive those memories through food?

violet said...

Here's a Tomato Basil Past Recipe that I hope everyone likes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67Jzf5pm9k

Alex said...

Mrs. Prange you should make these pancakes and bring them to class they look good haha.