Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Pesto for the Winter

I went to the local farmer’s market the other day before football practice and bought all the basil I could find. My friend’s mother gave me more basil and away I went. I made three big batches of pesto for this winter – I spent a total of 3.00 on pesto. Buying basil in the winter almost bankrupts me, but since my oldest loves pesto, I always buy it. Now, with my stash in the freezer, I am ready!

I made the pesto and put it in a zip lock bag. I then used the Foodsaver to vacuum seal it. It should stay fresh for a while. Here is the recipe I used.

Pesto Sauce from Food Network

5 big handfuls basil leaves (about 2 hefty bunches)
1/2 cup pine nuts or 3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
Juice of 1 small lemon
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Kosher salt
About 20 grinds freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients with 1/2 cup of the oil in a blender and blend. Gradually drizzle in the remaining 1/4 cup of oil until pesto is thick and smooth.

Yield: about 1 1/2 cups

3 comments:

julio said...

thats a amazing recipe

Psychgrad said...

I love making pesto in the summer and freezing it for the winter. I freeze it in ice cube trays and then put the cubes in a ziplock bag. Super easy to work with.

I'd like to grow a massive basil plant and cut out having to buy basil all together.

Katie's blog said...

My idea for this summer is to plant a huge plant in one of those large - and I mean large - pots, like you see on the street, with basil. I saw a store on the Hill in St. Louis do this and their basil looked fabulous.