Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cupcakes with Beer and Cheese? Who Knew?

For this month’s Taste and Create, I was paired with Stef from The Cupcake Project. Since I am not a baker, I spent a lot of time looking through her cupcake concoctions. I finally settled on the Beer Cheese cupcakes with Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting. I liked the idea of a beer cheese cupcake. One of my favorite soups is Beer Cheese Soup with Bacon, so it was an easy decision for me to make.

The cupcakes weren’t hard to make; the boys helped me some, and when they were done, they just had to dig in. The oldest ate four, while my youngest ate two plus a bite. They seemed to like them better with no frosting on them. I think part of the reason for that is that the pumpkin muffins I make don’t have frosting on them.

I really think the concept was interesting – my husband’s favorite ingredient, beer, with my favorite ingredients, cheese and bacon all wrapped up into one tasty moist morsel. These cupcakes have to be the moistest cupcakes I have ever tasted; the beer must add that special touch. I also really liked the brown sugar instead of the always present white sugar. I agree with the kids; I liked them better without the frosting, but that is because I don’t have a real big sweet tooth, and the frosting was a little sweet for my taste, but it looked very good, like frosting with little surprises hidden inside.

Beer Cheese Cupcakes with Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup beer
1 stick, plus 1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup grated cheddar
2 cups dark brown sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the beer and the butter, chopped into 1-inch chunks, in a large sauce pan, and heat to melt the butter. Add cheddar. Remove from heat, and whisk in the sugar. In a bowl, whisk the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla, then add to the beer mixture. Sift together the flour and baking soda, and fold into the batter. Pour into cupcake wrappers and bake for 25 minutes, or until inserted cake tester comes out clean.
Makes 18 cupcakes.

Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

1 8oz package cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup grated cheddar
1 cup bacon bits (I made my own, drained it, ran it through the food processor and drained it again)

Make sure cream cheese and butter are room temperature and beat them until creamy. Add grated cheddar. Slowly mix in powdered sugar. Stir in bacon bits.
If you want to try something different, try these cupcakes – they are a different take on an old classic.

12 comments:

PJ said...

Hi Katie!Came here thro taste and create.Lovely blog u have here..Will definitely be back to try ur recipes :)

Katie's blog said...

Thanks! I will have to check out your blog too!

Ben said...

This sounds intriguing. Now I have to try them to see how they taste.

cody said...

the 24th was my b-day

wes said...

It doesn't sound that good but I'll give it a shot.

kyle said...

looks good

jake said...

HMmmm bacon, beer, and cupcakes.

Jordan said...

what made you want to put beer in a cupcake? justwondering. other than that it sounds great.

Lee Harvy Oswald said...

this is a really good recipe and it looks delicious.

TZ said...

hey its tommy looks good might have to have mom make it

TZ said...

hey kp its tommy looks good might have to have mom make it

Bon Qui Qui said...

i'd eat them. :)