Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Chicken Dinner - Part One of Three (Chicken Bouillabaisse)

Chicken is one of the most versatile meats. I have three entries that all use chicken and use it differently. Tonight’s chicken is a Barefoot Contessa recipe. I love to watch her show – she uses simple ingredients and always has outstanding results.

I have made bouillabaisse before; with seafood of course, but never a chicken bouillabaisse. After watching her make it twice, I decided to try it. I try to not make any changes in a recipe the first time I make it, but I did make a couple of changes. First I skinned the chicken. I just can’t stomach the skin unless it is fried chicken. Second I had problems with the Rouille. For some reason, it came out very, very soupy. I made aioli from this recipe instead, and that was great.

I think this dish would turn out very well made with boneless chicken instead of bone in, making it easier to eat. Overall, I really enjoyed the flavor combinations. The Pernod and saffron add a new level of flavor and richness. While I really like saffron, I thought the pernod was a bit strong, but if you want that rich flavor without spending the 30.00 for Pernod, you can substitute Ouzo, which is much less expensive. I have to say, I just loved the aioli with the chicken. That added a creaminess and blended so well with the tomatoes and garlic.
If you want to try something different, try Ina’s Chicken Bouillabaisse with her aioli recipe. It’s a twist on bouillabaisse and chicken! Next post – Italian Wedding Soup with Chicken Meatballs.

No comments: