Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Easy Peasy Pork and Gravy

Have you ever been to the store and seen specials on meat? You know, buy five packages of meat for 20.00. I did that a couple of weeks ago. I bought two packages of pork steaks, one whole chicken, and two packages of small pork chops. I haven’t used the chicken yet, but Hubby made pork steaks – my littlest is ecstatic, and I decided to make something new with the pork chops.

Since I had mashed potatoes and stuffing left from Thanksgiving, I wanted to make something with gravy so that I could eat the rest of the Thanksgiving food, and this was what I came up with.








Pork Chops with Gravy – easy peasy dinner

8 small boneless pork chops
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 large sprig rosemary, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup white wine
2 tsp Italian seasoning
½ to ¾ stick butter
Flour to make roux
1 quart chicken stock

Salt and pepper the pork chops. Heat oil in pan and sauté pork chops, browning on both sides. Remove from pan. Add more oil and sauté garlic and shallots until soft. Deglaze with white wine and add Italian seasoning and rosemary.

While pork is sautéing, make a roux in a skillet, set aside until garlic and shallots are cooked. After pan has been deglazed and seasoning has been added, add chicken stock and bring to a low boil. Add roux to pan and whisk until it has combined with the liquid. Add pork back to pan and cook over low heat until sauce thickens, and pork is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with potatoes

Dinner was great! The pork was tender, and the gravy was light and creamy. If you want really creamy gravy, just add a dollop of cream to finish off the gravy. I know that the picture doesn't do this dish justice. I did change the recipe from the original way I made it. I think making the roux separately will make the gravy thicker. I assumed that the olive oil was enough fat and only added flour to thicken.

Have a great evening! Be back soon with more recipes. Hope you are all having a great holiday season.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

It's sounds like a delicious way to serve pork chops. (I grew up with Shake and Bake for pork) haw haw

Nancy R said...

I just got some pork in a 5 for $20 deal the other day...I got two packages of bacon, lol.

I wanted to let you know I just saw The Pioneer Woman's cookbook in the Rural King flyer - you can go have a look-see. So far, we've enjoyed the mac and cheese, chicken spaghetti, and the meatloaf (although I would change it to letting the bacon crisp before adding the sweet sauce). Go have a look!