Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Skating, Ribs, and Turkey

I have multiple pictures in this post to cover my picture a day goal. This weekend has been a busy one for us. On Friday, we went out to dinner with friends to our favorite Mexican restaurant. Saturday was a fun day for the kids, as I took then ice skating – a scouting event. That was fun for me too. I got to relive a part of my childhood.

Growing up in Michigan and Minnesota meant that we did lots of fun outdoor activities. Skating and sledding were the top two for me as a kid. I had the opportunity to skate in rinks and on lakes – that was the coolest. I don’t think I was ever that good, but I sure had fun doing it.

My littlest one really enjoyed skating – he took to it pretty well. I am not saying he didn’t fall – his jeans were pretty wet by the end of the session, but he felt so successful at the end of the day, and he was actually pretty good. My older one had no problems either. Sports and athletic activities come very naturally to him. They both had a great time and can’t wait to go again.

Sunday brought a day of cooking for us. Around the holidays, we won a turkey! Today we decided to cook it. Dinner was a small Thanksgiving style turkey dinner. I made mashed potatoes – no mix, and stuffing – yes a mix, and green beans. I have decided that I really like my dressing better than Stove Top. I put a link to the turkey recipe that I have used for the past couple of years for Thanksgiving. It has to be, without a doubt, the best turkey I have ever made. The cheesecloth, I think, is what helps make the turkey so tender; although, I am sure the wine and butter that are constantly poured over the turkey don't hurt it at all.

We also grilled ribs. Ribs are something that is somewhat of a mystery for us. Hubby feels that he isn’t the best rib cooker out there. After bringing the ribs to room temperature, we put oil, salt, pepper, and seasoning on them. Today we used Soulard Grill Spice on some and Cherie’s Rib Rub on others - both spices came from the Soulard Spice Shop at the Soulard Market.

We then slow cook them on the grill to try and get the most fat out of them as we can. We finish them off in a low oven – 225 degrees. Part of the ribs were covered in BBQ sauce and put my Grandparents old roaster; our favorite cooking pot, and the other part were double wrapped in foil and placed in the oven.

We haven’t tried the BBQ ribs yet, but the plain ones, I thought were very good! I think we cooked them long enough on the grill to remove a lot of the fat. Wrapping them up in the oven allowed what moisture was left to redistribute and keep the ribs moist and tender. I can’t wait to try the others tomorrow. I also liked the seasoning on them.

Beef Noodle Soup recipe coming next! Have a great day.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Turkey looks yummy! I bet I know which friends you went with AND which restaurant you ate at! LOL!

Katie's blog said...

Actually I went to Jimmy John's by myself on Sunday for lunch!