Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Taste and Create - Chicken Tandori Kabobs

This month, for Taste and Create, I was paired with Marisa from The Creative Pot. Marisa hails from South Africa – I think it is so cool that the internet allows us to hook up with people from all over the world. If you get a chance, head over to her blog, she has some great recipes!

I think it is funny that we both chose seasoning recipes for Taste and Create. I chose Tandori Chicken Kababs for this month, but unlike Marisa, I have to cook mine in the oven. She of course had the hot weather now – not me. I get cold wet rain. Yuck!!!




Tandoori Chicken Kebabs Spice mix

adapted from Chicken Farmers of Canada Serves 4

600g chicken breast fillets
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cardamom pods
1/4 tsp whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder (or use 1 or 2 fresh chillies, finely chopped)
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup plain lowfat yoghurt

1. Cut chicken into bite sized chunks and set aside.

2. Finely grind the cumin, coriander, cardamom, cloves & bay leaf in a pestle & mortar (or cheat like I do and use a coffee bean grinder - works like a charm). The bay leaf won't grind to a powder, that's okay. Mix with the rest of the spices, lemon juice and yoghurt.
3. Work the marinade into the chicken using your hands, ensuring all pieces are fully coated. Cover with cling film and allow to marinade for 30 - 40 minutes in the fridge.
4. Thread the chicken pieces onto kebab skewers and grill in the oven at 200C – (392 F) until done. Be careful to not overcook them, they will still be tasty, but a little bit too dry. I found 15 minutes did the trick.

It was a hit! We all really liked the different spiciness to the dish. It had a fresh clean crisp flavor to it; I think yogurt played a large part in the freshness. Yogurt in a marinade also really helps keep chicken moist and tender. The color was fabulous too – the orangey red from the paprika, turmeric, and chili powder really packs a wallop visually.

To go with my chicken, I roasted asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and Penzey’s Foxtpoint seasoning. Totally yummy! The boys, for the first time, actually liked and ate their veggie without complaining!!!! It was a great night.

Enjoy the rest of your evening! Be back soon with more posts!!!

3 comments:

Marisa said...

Great minds think alike. :-) I think spice mixes are so cool, because they are so versatile.

Glad you & your men enjoyed the tandoori flavours!

MaryMoh said...

Kebabs are always fun to eat. Love these with all the spices. Would go great with rice and some stir fried vegetables.

Katie's blog said...

It was a hit! Will have to try with rice and veggies next time.