Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Boys and Breadsticks

My boys went to the Young Chef’s Academy for a scouting field trip. The oldest got to make ice cream and different desserts, while the younger one made bread sticks. They both had a very good time, and they wanted to make their respective dishes at home.
I am a little wary of the ice cream – don’t know why – but we made the bread sticks the other night. Little one had a great time cutting the dough and working with the mixer. I had fun just watching him cook.

The bread sticks turned out nicely, but I was a bit surprised the recipe called for no sugar. Not even any to feed the yeast. I also noticed that my dough became somewhat dry. The recipe called for mixing in the mixer and kneading the bread as well. If I make the bread again, I will not knead by hand, and I will be adding a little sugar to feed the yeast. I think the dough will rise more.

The most important part, though, was hanging out with my son. He loved the bread sticks; although, he said I put too much garlic on them. Ooops.

YCA Cheesy Breadsticks

1 packet active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 -2 tbsp virgin olive oil
Additional flour or cornmeal for rolling out dough
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Egg wash – 2 egg whites and 1tbsp water
Assorted fresh herbs such as rosemary, basil, and oregano (optional)

1. In the bowl of and electric mixer, dissolve the yeast in the water and let stand for 5 minutes.

2. Add the salt flour, and olive oil, mix until the dough forms a ball.

3. Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with flour or cornmeal and knead briefly until smooth.

4. Lightly oil a large mixing bowl and turn the dough in the bowl to coat. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm draft free area for one hour or until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

5. Punch down dough and place on a surface dusted with flour or cornmeal. Knead for about 10 minutes.

6. Flatten the dough into a large rectangle. Slice the dough into strips.

7. Make the egg wash by whisking together the egg whites and water in a small bowl. Brush the strips of dough with egg wash, and sprinkle the cheese on top. Sprinkle with fresh herbs if desired. (This is where I put too much garlic)

8. Bake for 10-12 minutes, checking to make sure that the cheese doesn’t brown too quickly. Makes 20 breadsticks.

It was a fun evening of cooking – it’s what family is about. Have a great day!

3 comments:

GChen said...

I'm a mom, a blogger, and a Ph.D. student, and I need your help. I'm doing a study about why women blog, and you have been selected at random to participate in a short survey about what motivates you to blog and what you get out of blogging.

Here is the link: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/231228/women-bloggers

Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to contact me at gmmasull@syr.edu if you have any questions.

Gina Chen
Ph.D. student
S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
Syracuse University

Ed Schenk said...

It's great that you include the kids in cooking. My own id all grown now but I havr those memories of us cooking together!

Alisa-Foodista said...

This is good!If you won't mind, I'd really love to guide foodista readers to your site. Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and you're all set. Thanks!