Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Morphing Food, Super Bowl, and Hiding Places

Ok, so I morphed food today! I took sauce from one meal, meat from another meal, and added pasta. I felt just like Robin Miller.

When I made my bruschetta, there was extra sauce. I saved that and put it with the meat I marinated in a light Mexican rub. You wouldn’t think that those flavors would go together, but they do. The Mexican rub is light with cumin, chili powder, brown sugar, and oregano. The sauce for the bruschetta had garlic, basil, tomatoes, and olive oil. They blended very well and made a nice light easy dinner for me. I also added the fresh mozzarella that I had left over. I have to say that I really like the sauce that I made. It was easy as pie, and so very tasty. The texture was great too; chunky with bursts of flavor coming through. I will make this again as a sauce.

I plan on more morphing. I have turkey from my turkey dinner a few weeks ago in the freezer. I have been thinking about what to do with it. I want to be different and not cook the same old thing again.

For our Super Bowl party this past weekend, I made many things. It was a clean out the freezer party, so I made chili, Italian Beef, a taco bar with two different kinds of meat, and a bean dip; the recipe came from Kraft.com. I didn’t photograph everything because the pictures weren’t that great. While I liked the bean dip, Hubby thought that it could use more spice. I think adding meat to it would be nice. Peppers would also make a nice addition and add a little heat to the dish. I photographed my appetizer bowl, so that my brother-in-law and his girlfriend could see that I do use the present they got me for Christmas.

5-Layer Mexican Dip

1 can (15-1/2 oz.) refried black beans (I used regular refried beans – couldn’t find black beans)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup Sour Cream
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup sliced black olives
1 tomato, chopped

MIX beans, chili powder and cumin; spread onto bottom of 9-inch pie plate.
TOP with layers of remaining ingredients.

REFRIGERATE several hours or until chilled. Serve with tortilla chips

The boys had a couple of friends over, and they played Hide and Seek – the two pictures below show how well they hid! One of their friends came over the other day and hid in the same spot. I wonder how long they will be able to curl up and hide in my baking cabinet?

My friend brought Texas Caviar – an easy wonderfully flavored salsa that is packed with flavor. She graciously shared the recipe with me.

Drain and rinse:
1 can black beans
1 can black eye peas
1 can shoe peg corn
Drain only:
1 can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
1 can Rotel Mexican with lime and cilantro
Chop and add:
1 bunch green onions
1/2 each yellow, red and green peppers

Mix with 1 cup Italian dressing. Serve with chips – dips work really well.

That’s all for this post. My little one made bread sticks tonight – will post soon about that! Have a great evening and talk to you soon!!

4 comments:

HoneyB said...

Your dip looks yummy Katie!

Ed Schenk said...

Great job "morphing" and thanks for the recipes!

Katie's blog said...

Thanks guys! I am trying to be really good about using everything I bring into the house. We will see how it goes.

Sophie said...

Texas caviar-what a cute name! Sounds and looks tasty too, perfect for a summer potluck.