Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Steak Sandwich


In my quest to be vigilant and cook all that I buy – my goal this weekend was to use some of the older meat products in my freezer. I had some “spedini” meat that I purchased on the Hill in St. Louis. It is very thinly sliced beef. I usually roll it up with mozzarella cheese and a basil leaf and grill it, but I wanted to do something different with it.

I decided to make two different entrees. The first was a pasta with the meat, sautéed in garlic, seasonings, and olive oil. I also added beef stock and some red wine to deglaze the pan. Basil was a finishing touch.

I also made a large steak and cheese sandwich for lunch on Sunday. I saw Rachael Ray make them on her show, so I decided to make my version.

¾ lb spedini or other thinly sliced meat
Garlic powder
Steak seasoning
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
1 onion – I had a red onion
1 pepper – I had yellow, but any type that you want will work
Olive oil for onions
Provolone cheese slices
Chibata bread – I used a small loaf to make one large sandwich

Sauté onions and peppers in olive oil until very soft and a little browned. Put meat in a bowl, coat lightly with olive oil and season with garlic, steak seasoning, salt, pepper. Let sit for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Cook in a large skillet with olive oil added to cover bottom of pan.

Slice loaf in half lengthwise, build sandwich with a layer of meat, cheese, and top with onions. Cut in half and serve.

Hubby really liked the sandwich, but he thought the bread was a bit hard and crusty. I will try to use a lighter, softer bread next time I make these sandwiches.

Next post is my Tastemaker – Bertolli sauce post. I will be using it tonight for dinner.

No comments: