Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Goodies


Every Easter, we go to my in-laws for dinner. We usually all bring something to help with the meal. This year, I brought Cheesy Cottage Potatoes and Blazing Buffalo Bites. The potatoes are an old favorite, but the chicken appetizer was something new.

I thought that the Buffalo Bites were easy to make; a little time consuming due to the frying, but easy nonetheless. The flavors blended together very well. My one complaint was that there was no specific measurement for the bleu cheese. I ended up putting somewhere around 12 oz. of bleu cheese and feta combined. This dish reminded me of Crab Rangoon.

I chose to only use one wonton per bite. I made some with two wontons, but thought that there was too much crust and not enough filling. The preparation went much more quickly too. This recipe is from Food Network – I think from a contestant on Ultimate Recipe Showdown.

Blazing Buffalo Bites
Ingredients


1 pound boneless chicken
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Oil, for coating pan, plus more for frying
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 package blue cheese
1 cup buffalo sauce
1 package wonton wrappers
Water
1/2 cup sweetened balsamic vinegar
Ranch dressing, for serving

Directions

Dice the chicken into small cubes, (about the size of your pinky nail). Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat and coat the bottom with a little oil. Add the chicken and sauté until cooked through. Put the cream cheese, blue cheese and buffalo sauce in a food processor and process until combined. Add the chicken and pulse to combine but still coarsely chopped.

Lay out an even number of wonton wrappers (10 should be enough). Spoon 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture in the center of a wrapper and brush the edges with water. Cover with another wrapper and crimp the edges so they are tightly sealed.

Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

Pour enough oil, about 1 1/2 inches, into a heavy-bottomed pot.

Once the oil is hot add the wrappers, in batches if necessary, and fry until the outside is light and crispy. Remove to paper towels to drain. Arrange the bites on a serving platter and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve with ranch dressing and enjoy.

I used more than 10. This made a large amount of filling – I doubled the recipe because it called for about 10 wontons and I wanted more than that. Needless to say, I have extra batter in my fridge waiting to be used in something……

Everybody seemed to like them, and I will make them again, probably for a football party or something in colder weather.

Cheesy Cottage Potatoes

2 lbs frozen hash brown potatoes
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups Velveeta Cheese, cubed
1 pint sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp cumin – I added this to the recipe

Combine all ingredients except potatoes in a large bowl. Fold in potatoes and put entire mixture into Crockpot. Cook on high for 1 ½ hours, then on low for about 2 hours.

The potatoes, like I said earlier, are something that I have made many times. There aren’t many ingredients, but they are yummy. It is an easy Crockpot recipe that I really like to make. I don’t use Ore Ida potatoes for crock pot recipes – I feel they break down when they are cooked for a long period.

I hope you all had a great holiday too. Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

Little Inbox said...

Hi Katie, feel free to come to my blog to stand a chance to win a Rachael Ray Casserole!

wsxwhx716 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................