Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Thursday, June 10, 2010

BBQ and Summertime


Summer has started and the grill has been busy. While I am glad that school is out, the first week of my summer vacation has been busy as well. We kicked summer off with a party at the pool. Some of the teachers and their kids from my school brought great food to my house and we celebrated the beginning of summer vacation as well as the engagement of one of the teachers. It was a hot day – perfect pool weather.

The next day was my kids’ last day of school – they went for an hour. We picked them up and spent the day together; lunch at Imo’s and the afternoon in the pool. A perfect 10 according to
my son.

The next week was just as busy. A friend and I took the boys to the Botanical Gardens, there were baseball games, scout camp, and a host of other activities that have totally occupied almost every waking minute of our days.
What I share with you today is something that I have shared before, but wanted to post again, because it is so good. Butterflied Cuban Style Pork Chops are a Bobby Flay recipe that I saw on Grill It. The combination of the pickles, ham, pork and cheese is terrific! I never thought I would like pickles with meat; I don’t eat them with hamburgers, but I love them in this dish. If you get a chance to try these, I highly recommend them.

We also had the third annual Jakey in June BBQ contest. My kids entered the kids’ Q, while I judged the big contest as well as the Margarita competition. It was a fabulous time, and I can’t wait until next year’s BBQ. I have some pictures that are from the “Anything But” part of the competition. That is where the BBQers’ can enter into the competition anything but pulled pork, ribs, brisket, or chicken – the items that are judged in the main part of the competition. While I didn’t judge that part of the competition, I heard the food was fabulous.

I judged the main meat part of the competition and got to take home some gooood BBQ. Hubby was excited to try my “winnings”

The funniest part of the entire BBQ was when I stood in line for almost 2 hours to try pig snoots. Yes, you read correctly, pig snoots. I have to say that the wait was long - some people gave up and left the line - their loss. The snoots reminded me somewhat of pork rinds. The snoot was very crunchy on the outside, but tender and chewy on the inside. Ed’s BBQ, from Troy, MO brought them. Along with the pulled pork nachos from HQ; I had some great food.

The next time you hear from me, we will be on the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I think two of those pictures were from what I judged. Those steaks with the bleu cheese on top were FABULOUS!

Katie's blog said...

Richard took the pictures - I have one of Tom, but didn't publish it. I can't wait till next year's bbq!

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com