Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Outer Banks - Rest of Trip



The rest of our vacation in the Outer Banks was busy for us. We first went to Grave Digger’s Dungeon – he is from the Outer Banks originally, you know. Anyway, we got to see someone working on him as he got crashed in Philly on Saturday night. We wanted to have the boys take a ride on the play course they had, but it was closed. Instead we walked around, saw the older Grave Diggers on display outside and left to go find lunch. We were going to have lunch at Mel’s Diner, but they were closed as well. We ended up eating at a local brewery – powered by the wind, and then headed to the Wright Brother’s Memorial in Kitty Hawk.

What an inspiring place. To think that two men decided to conquer flight is just amazing to me. We looked at each of the markers for their first four flights and walked up to the monument that was built in 1928 and dedicated in 1932. Raised in Ohio, the brothers came to the Outer Banks specifically to fly. The last time I was there, I was pregnant with Sam and didn’t climb to the monument – too tired that day.


We ended the day at the Carolina Seafood buffet. While it was very good, we decided to forgo buffets in the future. Some of the items were very overcooked by the time we got to them. On the bright side, steamed items, like crab, clams, and shrimp were brought to the table to order – the clams were fantastic. My little one tried and really liked them. He also tried fried oysters and enjoyed them as well.


On our last day in the Outer Banks, we hung out on the beach in the morning, and spent the rest of the day playing with go-karts and miniature golf. The boys had a blast. For our last meal, we chose to go to the Lone Cedar Cafe. It was, fabulous!!! They gave us way too much food, but oh well. I ordered the pasta of the day – shrimp and soft shell crab on a bed of pasta with roasted tomatoes, spinach, and garlic, served in a white wine sauce. It was soooo good. I have to say that I was so surprised to see four crabs on the pasta. Not only were there four crabs, there had to be at least ten shrimp and a half pound of pasta. There was too much, but we took it with us and ate the rest at our hotel in Asheville the next night.


One night we went to a restaurant at the Nag's Head Fishing Pier - we had been there one other time, when I was pregnant with my oldest. It was really neat to go back. The food was great; I had soft shell crab that were sauteed in garlic and butter. I think they were the best soft shell crab I ate on the trip. We walked out on the pier both before and after dinner to watch the fishing. We saw a boy named Tyler catch a stingray - he threw it back. My boys said that next year, they want to fish.

My family had a great time. It was the first time we took the boys on a big trip, and they enjoyed it so much. They are already excited about next year’s trip. Have a great evening. Talk to you soon. I will have recipes and great food – I hope!!

No comments: