Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Zucchini Bread


I was taking care of a neighbor’s garden – she said I could take whatever was ready to be picked. There was a huge zucchini that I picked. I decided to make some zucchini bread, but last year, one of the recipes I used was somewhat dry, and my kids weren’t overly fond of it. They did like the chocolate zucchini bread, but I didn't have any chocolate around.
I went to Facebook and asked my friends for some help with recipes. I got three, which is good, because my zucchini is huge. This is the first of my recipes. It received two thumbs up from my kids. It was moist and had a lot of flavor. I think though, that next time, I will add more zucchini like my friend did. I really liked it – the nuts were a nice touch; I chopped my pretty small, so they really are combined well throughout the bread.

Zucchini Bread from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 beaten egg
1 C sugar
1 C finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini (My friend used 2 cups; I used 1 ½ cups)
1/4 C cooking oil
1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts or pecans--and/or mini chocolate chip morsels.

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease bottom and sides of loaf pan. In medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Mix well and make a well in center of flour mixture. Set aside.

In another medium bowl, combine egg, sugar, zucchini and oil. Add zucchini mixture all at once to flour mixture (pour into center of well) and stir until moistened. Fold in nuts, chocolate chips, or both. Pour batter into loaf pan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Enjoy!!

P.S. If I put chocolate chips in my loaf, I usually reduce sugar by a little bit. Actually, I usually reduce the sugar in all my loaves just to be a little healthier!! (Comment from my friend) I am going to add chocolate chips next time. Didn’t have any on hand this time.)

I love using fresh ingredients from gardens this time of year. I also want to thank those who gave me recipes – I will be trying more soon! Have a great day!

No comments: