Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pasta with Leftover Caprese Salad



We were invited to a friend’s Fourth of July party on Friday. They provide brats and hotdogs, guests brings sides, apps and desserts. It is a very nice evening, and there are always lots of friends there to catch up with. The fireworks were also really good. My kids really enjoyed seeing them. For my side, I chose caprese salad:

Cherry tomatoes-cut them in half

Fresh mozzarella

Basil

Extra virgin olive oil

Balsamic vinegar

Salt

Pepper


Combine all ingredients.


Caprese salad is one of my staple salads in the summer. This summer is the first summer that my oldest is eating it. He has always loved the fresh mozzarella, but the tomatoes have been something he didn’t enjoy. I told him this year, he couldn’t eat the cheese without the tomatoes, so he tried it and…….he liked it!! It was a good day.


Anyway, I had some leftover tomatoes from the party – all the cheese, but a little was gone. I took the tomatoes home, and tried to think about how I was going to use them. I settled on this pasta. Using tuna I found in the freezer – bought it on sale very cheap from Trader Joe’s, I decided to season it with some Southwestern seasoning from Penzey’s, garlic, salt and pepper. Hubby grilled it for me – tasted great on its own!.


“Caprese” Tuna Pasta

4 cloves garlic, minced

6 anchovy filets

2 tbsp olive oil

2 tsp Italian seasoning

Leftover tomatoes from caprese salad

1 lb linguine cooked per package directions

1 cup chicken stock

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 large bunch basil chopped fine

3 to 4 small tuna steaks cooked on grill with your choice of seasoning


In a large skillet over medium high heat, sauté garlic and anchovy filets until filets melt into oil. Add Italian seasoning and tomato mixture to skillet. Allow to come to a boil, and turn down to a simmer. Add chicken stock and allow to simmer and reduce.


Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions.


Add cooked pasta, reserving some pasta water, if needed. Flake tuna and add to pasta along with basil. Combine; season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!!


I hope you all had a great Fourth of July! I know we did. I a going to leave you with a quote from Erma Bombeck:


You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism.

2 comments:

Tameri T. said...

Great post, thanks, we have similar cooking styles.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks! I will have to take a look at your blog.