Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Roasted Creamy Tomato Pasta with Feta Cheese



I am somewhat sad today. School starts in a month and I have to go back to work. It isn’t the work that makes me sad, it is the time away from the kids that makes me sad. I have had such an amazing summer with them, and I don’t want it to end.

So today, we spent the day lounging around the house, and we grilled for dinner. I decided I had to use up some of my tomatoes so I roasted some and make a creamy roasted tomato sauce for pasta to go with the steaks that Hubby grilled.


I used fresh ingredients from the garden, and I really liked the pasta. It was light, but flavorful – different tastes and textures for us.


Roasted Creamy Tomato Pasta with Feta Cheese

About 2 lbs tomatoes – your choice, I used heirloom that I had on hand

Salt

Pepper

Olive oil

2 garlic cloves

1-2 tsp Italian seasoning

½ cup chicken stock

½ cup half and half

1 lb pasta your choice

Large bunch fresh arugula or spinach

½-1 cup feta cheese


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tomatoes in half and lay on sheet tray cut side up. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes. Let cool. Put in blender and blend to desired consistency – I like mine a little chunky.


In a large sauce pan, sauté garlic in olive oil until softened, add Italian seasoning. Add tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to low boil and simmer to allow to thicken. Finish with half and half


After pasta is cooked, drain reserving 1 cup pasta water. Pour sauce over pasta, adding pasta water if too thick. Add lettuce and cheese stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.


I think the feta added a sharpness to the pasta that I think allowed the lettuce to stand out a little more. It was a different pasta for us, but very good. I also liked the lightness of the pasta. I don't like my pasta to be drowning in sauce. To me, it takes away from the dish.

3 comments:

Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen said...

Yeah...I have all the ingredients for this recipe except for the half & half...may have to make a grocery run so we can dine divinely tonight! Thanks for posting this recipe and great photos!

Beth said...

Funny.....I was sad about the same thing yesterday too. Every summer is one summer close to them being grown. Sigh.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for the comments! Jane, I hope you like the pasta, Beth, summer is my favorite holiday, and I don't want the kids to grow up too fast.