Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Summer Salad and Smoking

Today was a busy cooking day for me. First I made caprese salad – my summer favorite. My oldest child loves the cheese and basil, but not so much the tomatoes. I made a rule that for every piece of cheese, he has to eat a tomato. It works and he is now eating caprese salad every time I make it. I posted my recipe for this in a previous post.
We also tried smoking today for the first time. I don’t think Hubby has the patience for smoking. We tried chicken thighs in our smoker. Our smoker has been handed down from our friends. As they get more experienced smoking, they buy bigger smokers. We had a couple of mishaps, though. This really isn’t our first time. A couple of weeks ago, we tried smoking, only to blow a circuit and ruin the meat, because we didn’t realize for the longest time that the smoker wasn’t heating up.
Today, we tried to add more wet wood chips, or I did, and ended up starting a small fire. We put the fire out and just went on with the smoking. Hubby thought he could really taste the wine – we used wine as our liquid of choice for the smoker. I didn’t taste that strong a wine taste. I did think the chicken was a bit dry. Either we cooked it too long, or the little fire did it. Anyway, not too bad for a first try.

I seasoned my meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Smokin Dave’s BBQ seasoning. I bought the seasoning at the Jakey in June BBQ contest. We love the rub!!
I also made a cake – no photo though. I saw a picture in my Martha Stewart Living magazine of a white cake layered with strawberries and whipped cream. I tried to make one layered with raspberries and whipped cream. The magazine one was really pretty – mine, not so much. Maybe next time. My kids liked it though. I guess that is what matters.

More food coming soon – have a great evening!!

No comments: