Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cookbook Confession

I have to make a confession. There are three things I am addicted to: purses, shoes, and cookbooks. I swore a couple of months ago that I wouldn’t buy anymore cookbooks for a while. That worked great…..until today. Today I bought “From Elvis’ Kitchen to Yours,” and Bon Appétit, Y’all. I am in love with both of them. There is so much interesting information in the Bon Appétit cookbook. I actually started reading some of it to my husband – don’t know just how interested he was in it, but oh well.

Ok, here is a tidbit – grass fed beef used to be considered “tough and inferior.” Not today.

Pork is so popular in the south because it didn’t take up any extra farm land – they were happy in the pen or hanging out in the woods.

I just love reading cookbooks, and I can see myself quite easily reading this cookbook cover to cover. The Elvis book on the other hand – he died on August 16, 1977 you know – has stories, quotes, and lots of pictures along with some great recipes from his life. It is an interesting look at something of his – something that can be easily shared.

I remember when he died. I was little and was visiting my grandparents in Ohio – my grandma is still here – 99 years old. Anyway, we were eating dinner and listening to the radio, because there was a tornado warning. I was all for going to the storm shelter – yes the house actually had a storm shelter – but my grandpa was all for eating dinner; one didn’t’ run to the storm shelter unless the tornado was on its way.. Who has an appetite when there is a tornado not five miles away? Not me! Anyway, I remember clearly the radio announcer interrupting the tornado warning to tell us that Elvis had died. Great I am probably going to join him because the tornado is very close and I am eating dinner and listening to a DJ talk about Elvis.

Just wanted to share my latest cookbook purchases with you. Hopefully I will be able to cook something soon for you!

No comments: