Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Dinner by the Pool


Today we are having our neighbors over for dinner and one of the final swims in our pool. We are serving grilled wings, cheddar biscuits, salad, and corn on the cob. My neighbor is bringing dessert – Hubby is hoping for apple pie. She had brought us one when they moved in and Hubby was hooked on apple pie. That is funny to me, because he usually doesn’t like dessert.

I love the wings we are making. We started working on them a few years ago, after going to Fast Eddie’s in Alton, IL. We didn’t copy their wings, but we made our own version of them. Since we start them in the oven, the wings turn out tender and juicy, because they aren’t cooked too long on the grill. We use Emeril’s seasoning – here is the recipe to make it at home. It adds a punch and great flavor without offending those who might not like their food too spicy.


What a lovely evening. Sitting by the pool, feeling the breeze, watching the kids play in and out of the pool; great time. I truly enjoy hanging out with my friends and cooking a good simple meal.

For the corn I decided to keep the husks on. I put Emeril’s Essence and melted butter on the corn and grilled it. When the corn was cooked I garnished with parmesan cheese. The corn was wonderful. The seasoning and the grilling was a nice change from the regular boiled corn. I did something like this a couple of years ago – it worked well then too.


Fresh grilled corn

10 ears of corn

1 stick butter – unsalted

2 tablespoons Emeril’s Essence


Soak corn in cold water for 30 minutes. Remove silk from corn but keep husks on. Peel down and use husks as a handle. Brush with melted butter and Essense – melt butter and stir in Essense. Place corn on edge of grill with husks off the corn. Cook until corn is done – about 10 minutes, turning every couple of minutes.


Hubby and I were proud of ourselves – we managed to get dinner on the table when we said we would. It has to be a first. Eating outside while it is still light outside. What a concept. Communication works wonders. We actually talked about what time we wanted to eat. We need to try that again.


On another note, even though we were all home as a family this past Friday, I didn’t cook too much. I made boneless wings that I ordered from Schwann’s and macaroni and cheese from a box – how bad am I? We like the wings as a quick dinner at home – beats ordering in sometimes.


talk to you soon!

2 comments:

City Share said...

Dinner by the pool sounds lovely. All those grilled foods look delicious. I live in NYC without a grill or a pool, so I am living vicariously through you.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for the nice comment! We love to grill!!