Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Poached Egg and Bacon Salad

The other day, I took the boys to the bookstore to reward them for the higher reading levels they both achieved. While I had promised myself that I wouldn’t buy anymore cookbooks, I happened to see William’s Sonoma Cooking Essentials. Getting the Most Out of Your Stove-Top, Oven, and Grill. I have to say that I love this cookbook. The recipes are simple, they use fresh ingredients, and they look marvelous.


I made the Poached Egg and Bacon salad for dinner the other night. While I didn’t use the lettuces that the recipe called for, I thought that Arugula and fresh greens would be a strong enough lettuce to stand up to the eggs.


I love the way the egg yolk becomes part of the dressing – yum! I do have to say, though, that earlier this summer, I watched an episode of Ten Dollar Dinners, where the host talked about this recipe – I assumed through her conversation, that she made up the recipe. Imagine my disappointment when I saw this in a cookbook. It makes me wonder just how many of their recipes are really their own.


Anyway, this is a very simple salad that compliments almost any dinner. Try it some night! You will want to make it again. Be sure to cook your eggs in a non-stick pan, though.

Poached Egg and Bacon Salad

2 heads escarole

3 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Salt and freshly ground pepper

6 slices bacon chopped

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

4 eggs


Prepare the greens. Remove the outer dark leaves from each head of escarole. Separate the inner pale yellow leaves. Tear into bite sized pieces.


Make the vinaigrette. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Add to the lettuce, but do not mix.


Cook the bacon. In a frying pan over medium heat, sauté the bacon until crisp 4-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add the bacon pieces to the bowl, toss the salad and arrange on plates.


Poach the eggs. Pour water to a depth of 2 inches into a large sauté pan or deep frying pan and add the lemon juice. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Break 1 egg into a small bowl. Hold the bowl so it just touches the simmering water and slide the egg into the water. Quickly repeat with the remaining eggs, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Adjust the heat to keep the water at a gentle simmer. Cook until the whites are set and the yolks are glazed over but still soft, 3-5 minutes.


Finish the dish. Using a slotted spoon, lift each egg from the simmering water, letting the excess water drain into the pan. Trim any ragged edges of egg white with kitchen scissors. Top each salad with a poached egg, sprinkle with pepper and serve at once.

No comments: