Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Cocido - A Rachael Ray Recipe



I did something today I don’t normally do. I cooked a Rachael Ray recipe. I usually don’t like her flavor combinations, but the other day, I watched her make a “stoup” that actually looked really good. Rachael made a Cocido – a Spanish, chickpea based stew that usually simmers all day.

What really attracted me was the amount of meat in the soup. The recipe called for three kinds of meat – right up my husband’s alley. I have to say, though, that I don’t really consider this a 30-minute meal. I think it is more like a 45-50 minute meal, if you are working quickly. There is a lot of prep, cutting chicken, veggies, making meatballs, etc. If you are an experienced cook, and can work quickly, maybe 45 minutes, but if you are slow on prep, it will take much longer.

I did make a couple of changes to the recipe. I added a full 2 quarts of stock instead of the 6 cups the recipe called for. I was glad I did, as I really liked the broth. I also just used pork for the meatballs; I don’t usually eat veal, and I didn’t have any ground beef available.

While Hubby isn’t much of a soup eater, he did like this soup. The meatballs had cinnamon, paprika, and nutmeg, which added a different flavor to the meal. I thought that it paired very well with the parsley, tomatoes, garlic and lemon zest that garnished the stoup.

I am looking forward to seeing what the leftovers bring flavorwise. We will see. Have a good evening. Talk to you soon!!

2 comments:

kathy Steger @FoodWineThyme said...

I have to agree with you. Rachael Ray 30 min meals are not really 30 minutes long. However I am going to give this one a try. Looks great. I googled the recipe and yours caught my eye. :)

kathy Steger @FoodWineThyme said...

I have to agree with you. Rachael Ray 30 min meals are not really 30 minutes long. However I am going to give this one a try. Looks great. I googled the recipe and yours caught my eye. :)