Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Italian Beef.....Soup!


I love soup! In the winter, soup is my go to for a meal. Last week, I made Italian beef for my husband and kids. While I was cleaning up, I tried the broth – yummy. That got me thinking…..what if I made Italian Beef Soup. So, last night, I did, and if I do say so myself, it turned out really well.


For my meat, I used arm steaks – that is an arm roast that the butcher cut into steaks for me.


1 roast – whatever you use for Italian beef

1 large leek, thinly sliced

3 celery stalks, diced small

2 carrots, diced small

3 large cloves garlic, minced

Olive oil – enough to coat the bottom of a large stock pot

Italian beef seasonings – I use Louis – follow directions for Italian beef

½ jar pepperoncini.

9 oz. noodles – your choice – I used a whole grain egg noodle

shredded cheese – your choice. I used provel. Provolone would be a great choice too.


Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides in large stock pot and remove. Sauté onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil in same pot until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 more minutes.


Add Italian beef seasonings and combine with water – enough so that seasonings dissolve. Add roast back to pot and fill with water to cover roast. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. Add pepperoncini when there is about 30 minutes of cooking time left. Cook until meat is tender enough to shred.


Remove meat, cool and shred with a fork. Meanwhile in a separate pot, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain. Add shredded meat and pasta to soup. Stir and serve with shredded cheese


What a great soup. Full of Italian beef flavor – spicy and warm – a perfect soup on a cold winter day. Next time you are in the mood for soup, try this. You will like it!!

No comments: