Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Italian Sloppy Joes - my family Christmas Dinner

While the holiday was very much fun for the boys, I unfortunately came down with a stomach virus on Christmas Eve. I wasn’t feeling the greatest in the morning, but by the afternoon, I was feeling much worse. I was supposed to bring two appetizers to my in-law’s house, but I didn’t even have the energy to make anything. That made me feel really bad, as my friend ran by the store for me to get a couple of ingredients that I needed.


I still went to my in-laws for Christmas Eve – my kids really wanted me to go, but I didn’t move from the couch, and we were home kind of early. I didn’t get a good night’s sleep, because the boys were just so excited about Christmas, they came into our room three different times – 3:25, 4:25, and then at 7:00. My alarm went off at 5:30. Needless to say, I wasn’t able to settle down for a long winter’s nap……


Christmas day was a quiet affair; I spent a large portion of it on the couch. I started to feel better – more like myself in the afternoon, and was able to make my appetizer for dinner.


Italian sloppy Joes were on the menu, and they won rave reviews from the entire family. I have put them on the list for a possible Super Bowl food item. There were a few changes I made in the recipe. Instead of the tomato sauce it called for, I used canned tomatoes and pureed them. Hubby said he liked it with the tomatoes vs. the sauce. It was a thinner Joe, but he liked how the sauce soaked into the bread. I also didn’t have fresh parsley; I just used some dried that I had on hand.


The sloppy Joes had a mild Italian flavor, but could be kicked up a notch with some pepper flakes. Next time, I will add more fennel and maybe more oregano.


Have a great evening and a Happy Holiday season! Talk to you soon!!

No comments: