Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Dinner



Happy New Year!!!! In an effort to be a smarter shopper this year, I have decided that my New Year’s resolution is to have a shopping list for the grocery store and try to have a weekly menu.


To that end, I started today and planned my meals for the week. I looked at what I had in the house, tried to figure out the kids’ activities, and made my menu. I then made my list and went to the store, where I spent only……wait for it…….26.00!!!! Woo Hoo!! Ok, woo hoo, if I don’t have to go back to the store this week for anything.


Tonight for dinner, we decided to eat light. In the spirit of the New Year, I chose a light dinner. I made a large salad with spinach and mixed greens, tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese, tortillas, and bacon. I added grilled shrimp as our “meat.”


Grilled shrimp –Mexican style

1 lb shrimp

Olive oil

Adobo seasoning

Cumin

3 cloves garlic, minced

Salt

Pepper

Mexican oregano


Peel and devein shrimp, dry off. Add olive oil, garlic, and seasonings. Combine and let sit for 30 minutes. Heat grill pan with olive oil to medium high, add shrimp and cook until just done. Add to salad.

I didn’t add any amounts to the seasoning; add to taste. We like bold flavors on our food, but some may not.


I also made garlic biscuits, but instead of cheddar cheese and dill – what I usually put in, I decided to go out on a limb and add Italian seasoning and mozzarella cheese. Hubby really liked them, but the kids weren’t as crazy about them. Oh well, back to the drawing board.


I hope you all had a great new year! I know I did. Talk to you soon!!!

No comments: