Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Super Bowl Party Recipe


Every year, we have a super bowl party.  This has been a tradition for our little family for many years.

Some years we all bring food; some years I cook most of the food.  This was one of the years I chose to cook most of the food.  I think I was on a meatball kick because I had Elegant Crab Meatballs and Italian meatballs with pork.  I also made Italian sloppy Joes and Mexican manicotti.

Everything was very good, and I think all had a good time.  Getting together with friends and family, sharing food and recipes.  That is what it is all about.  One of my friends made some homemade candy – peanut butter cups and turtles, I think.  Next time I am at her house, I am going to ask for the recipe.  They were very good.

Elegant crab meatballs – from “A Taste of the Hill Cookbook”

2 6 to 7 oz cans crab meat
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
3 tbsp sherry cooking wine
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp grated onion
1 tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Bacon slices – about 12, cut in half.

My additions – I added one egg yolk to the party.  I felt that it created a better binding for the mixture and added a creaminess to the meatballs

Drain and flake crab meat, combine with bread crumbs, wine lemon juice, onion, mustard, egg yolk, salt and pepper.   Shape into balls; wrap with bacon; secure with a toothpick.  Broil under medium heat until bacon is done (about 10 minutes) turning to brown evenly.  Garnish with parsley and lemon.  Makes 2 dozen.

I also made Mexican Manicotti.  It is an easy twist on Italian food.  From the Taste of Home cookbook, Mexican Manicotti is wonderful.  Made the night before, it is a great meal for a party.  The noodles are also stuffed before they are cooked – I think it is easier to stuff a manicotti noodle raw.  The only change I made to the recipe was to use sausage instead of ground meat, as I have a ton of sausage on hand.

Another item on the menu was Italian Meatballs.  Having made them before – at our Italian feast a couple of months ago – these meatballs are easy and delicious.  With Parmesan, ricotta, eggs, and fresh herbs, these meatballs are a no-brainer for a large meal. 

It was an all around good time – can’t wait for next year’s party!  I am sorry this post was late – it happens.  Life just gets so busy sometimes, and I can’t keep up!

No comments: