Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Meatball Soup






I just love soup.  For some reason, soup really reenergizes my soul.  This soup recipe hit the spot.  The recipe is from a coworker of my husband’s.  He thought it sounded good, so I made it last week.  While I didn’t have the curly endive, I did have spinach – made for a great substitute.  As I am watching my carbs, I chose whole grain pasta too.  I liked the flavor and texture the noodles added to the soup. I also used turkey Italian meatballs – lower calories and fat, but great taste.

This recipe came from Stephanie Ashcroft’s book 101 Things to do with Meatballs

Italian Meatball Soup
Ingredients
1 pound Casa Di Bertacchi Italian Style meatballs (5/8-ounce size), frozen (about 25 meatballs)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced into one-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
12 cups low-sodium chicken stock 
1 1/2 cups uncooked twist pasta
1/ 2 bunch of curly endive, rough chopped
Cracked black pepper
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions
– Place large soup pot on medium-high heat. Add olive oil and preheat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chopped onions and carrots to soup pot. Stir vegetables into olive oil and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent. Pour chicken stock into pot with onions and carrots. Add frozen meatballs and uncooked pasta. Add rough-chopped endives to soup pot. Bring soup to a low rolling boil. Simmer until pasta is al dente (firm but not hard) and meatballs are fully heated through. 
– Season soup to taste with fresh cracked black pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.

This was a nice soup to make on a cold day – we have had a few here lately.  The flavors blended well, and the soup was quite filling.  I would most definitely make this again.  My only change would be to make a half batch for my family.  This recipe makes a ton of soup.

Happy eating!!

No comments: