Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Pesto Mozzarella Bread - a new staple in our house

My son loves Pesto sauce.  Since he was three, pesto has been his favorite sauce for pasta.  A few weeks ago, I decided to try something different, and I put pesto and fresh mozzarella on some asiago cheese bread I had purchased on the Hill in St. Louis.  Number One son loved it!

One of the things I like most about this is that I can eat a couple of pieces and not worry about the carb count - Two small pieces of this bread don't amount to many carbs.  Good if you are watching your blood sugar.

It is so easy to make.  All I did was rub garlic on the toasted bread, spread pesto sauce on the bread and topped with the fresh mozzarella.  I put the bread under the broiler to melt the cheese and served.  Following is the pesto recipe I used - courtesy Food Network.


Pesto:
5 big handfuls basil leaves (about 2 hefty bunches)
1/2 cup pine nuts or 3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
Juice of 1 small lemon
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Kosher salt
About 20 grinds freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients with 1/2 cup of the oil in a blender and blend. Gradually drizzle in the remaining 1/4 cup of oil until pesto is thick and smooth.
Enjoy!!  Talk to you soon!!

4 comments:

Beth said...

This looks really yummy! You know how I love the whole pesto/mozz combination!

Natalie said...

yummy! and with bread from the Hill?! you can't go wrong! :)

Beau @ SomethingEdible.com said...

That pesto recipe from food network is pretty solid. I've used pistachios instead of pinenuts when I don't feel like talking to a loan officer and it still turns out swell. Freezes well too if you add the Parm after it comes out of cryo!

Katie's blog said...

The bread is great! I love going to the Hill. It is one of my favorite places in St. Louis.

I will have to try pest with pistachios. Thanks for the idea.

I know you love this combo, Beth - it is my son's favorite salads.