Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Kids' Burger Competition and Jakey in June

This past weekend was the fourth annual Jakey in June BBQ contest.  This event is something that my kids look forward to every year.  The get to enter the contest as well.  For kids 10 and under, there is a burger grilling contest; for kids 11 and up, there is a pork chop grilling contest.  My kids talk about their burger recipe throughout the year, thinking about the different combinations they want in their burgers.


My oldest told me about a month ago, that he wanted a "backwards" burger - with the bun on the inside.  After looking at different recipes, we decided that bread crumbs would be a great solution.  He also loves pesto sauce, so that went in as well.

Italian burger
8 oz. ground beef
A scant 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs, plus more for coating burgers
1/4 to 1/2 cup pesto
1/4 cup fresh grated parm cheese
2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients.  Make two burgers.  Dredge burgers in bread crumbs and coat completely.  Grill to desired doneness.  Garnish with Caprese Salad.

My youngest on the other hand, decided that he wanted to put cilantro and green onions in his burger.  He also wanted cheddar cheese.  We decided to also add black beans and taco seasoning.

Mexican burger
8 oz. ground beef
1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp taco seasoning
1/8 cup diced green onions
1/8 cup chopped cilantro

Mix all ingredients.  Make two hamburgers and grill to desired doneness.  Garnish with chips and salsa.

The boys didn't win, but they had a blast creating their burger recipes, and we had a lot of fun practicing.    I think we made these burgers at least six times.  This past Friday was a bonus for the boys and me.  We went to the Hill to get the bread crumbs and ended up having lunch at Guido's Pizzeria.  My oldest started getting full when he had three pieces of pizza left.  He then took it as a "Man vs. Food" challenge and ate the rest of the pizza.  It was a riot.

I am glad we enter the contest each year.  We are creating great memories and giving the boys a chance to use their imaginations to dream up their own burgers that reflect the foods they like to eat.  They already have ideas for next year's burgers!

In addition to the burger contest, I got to judge for four different categories.  On Saturday night it was the Anything But, dessert, and Margaritas.  The Anything But is a great event for judges.  The teams prepare anything but chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, and brisket.  We had shrimp, salmon, filet, pork tenderloin.....yum!!!  The second category was desserts.  They looked fabulous!!!  I tried brownies with a raspberry surprise, chocolate cheesecake, grilled pineapple, a chocolate pie, and a caramel apple pie.  It is a difficult job, but someone has to do it.

After that it was time for margaritas.  There were some really good margaritas this year.  I think my favorite was the margarita with the hint of a pepper in it.  It was surprise, but very good.

Sunday morning brought more judging.  This was the big time.  Chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, and brisket were on the menu.  It is amazing how people can take the same procedure and make a completely different tasting piece of meat.  I really enjoy judging BBQ; it makes me want to learn how to smoke and slow cook meats better.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

That Italian burger recipe sounds awesome! I really should give that a try.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks! My son loves this burger. It was really tasty. We are already working on recipes for next year's recipes.

Setia said...

Tasty! I'm looking forward to trying that one out.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for the comment!