Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Vacation to the Outer Banks.....Again

We went to the Outer Banks for our vacation again this year.  We really like North Carolina, and the boys are in love with the place.  We are planning on going back again next year.  We stayed at a different hotel this year - The Nag's Head Inn.  While the rooms were a little small, the hotel was clean and well managed.  The staff was very friendly and helpful.  Our room overlooked the ocean; it was so relaxing to sit and listen to the surf and watch the water.  I am always amazed by the power of the ocean.


I kind of felt like we were totally reliving last years vacation, as we stopped at Los Avages in Charleston, West VA just like last year.  We really like that Mexican restaurant.  The food is simple but very good, and the margaritas are some of the best I have tried.

As we were driving in the Outer Banks, we couldn't help but notice the smoke that seemed to be everywhere.  We looked for the source of the smoke to no avail;  we finally arrived at the hotel and asked the desk clerk where the fire was.  She told us that the fire was in the flatlands quite a ways away from Nag's Head.  Depending on which way the wind blew determined how much smoke was in the area.  We were a little worried that first night, as the smoke was very thick, but we didn't see much at all for the the rest of our time there.


Just like last year, we went to Pamlico Jack's for dinner our first night.  I had the same dish I had had the year before - tuna.....yum.  Hubby had tuna as well, but his was prepared differently.  We tried a new restaurant called Awful Arthur's.  We will definitely be back.  The food was excellent - the kids tried clam strips and loved them.  I had sauteed soft shelled crabs and Hubby had a combo plate.  We were all very impressed.

For our last night, we went to Pier House, a restaurant we have gone to each time we have visited the Outer Banks.  It is a small restaurant, but the food is probably some of the best we have ever had.

We just happened to stumble upon it when I was pregnant with my oldest.  We had taken a vacation to the East Coast; Williamsburg, Asheville, and the Outer Banks.  We only spent an afternoon in the Banks, but it was a memorable time for us.  We had dinner at the Pier restaurant and then took a walk on the pier.  This year, we went fishing on the pier first - I caught the ocean's smallest fish.  The boys had fun trying out different fishing poles and watching the ocean water.  Our dinner this year was as good as ever.  I don't know what it is about the place.  It is a simple restaurant, nothing fancy.


We spent lots of time on the beach, and we visited another lighthouse.  This year we climbed to the top of the Currituck lighthouse - the last lighthouse built on the Outer Banks.  I don't know why, but there is something romantic about lighthouses.  I just love them.


We decided to take some bread out to the sea gulls on the beach.  What was so interesting is that we found one gull close to us, so we decided to give him a little bread.  Within twenty seconds, we had about seven gulls flying around us.  It was like the one gull had sonar or something.  The boys thought it was really cool, and I think I got some neat pictures.  We got the idea from a waitress, who told us that the gulls will take french fries right out of a person's hands.  The boys were hooked after they heard that.

There was much more that we did, but I would need a week to tell you about it.  What I want to say is that I feel very fortunate to be able to spend time with my family in such a beautiful spot.  Creating memories for the kids is very important - for us too!  Have a great day!!

No comments: