Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cubed Beef Stroganoff

I know I have talked about this before, but I am going to mention that we get a side of beef each year once again.  The reason this time, is that I made a beef stroganoff with cubed round steak that was really very good.

I am always wondering what to do with some of the meat that comes with the side.  We always seem to get a ton of cubed round steak, and I always have a problem deciding what to do with it.  It is a very tough cut of meat.  I have dredged in flour and egg, and made a version of chicken fried steak, but I don't want to do that all the time.  I have made a beef stroganoff before in my electric skillet, but again, the meat is usually pretty tough.

This time, though, I finally got smart.  I cooked my meat mixture in the oven for two hours - made for the most tender beef stroganoff I have ever made.  It was one of my best dishes, I think.

Here is the recipe - I don't have a picture.  The ones I took didn't turn out well.

Cubed Beef Stroganoff


3 lbs. cube steak, cut into bite sized chunks and combined with steak seasoning
1/2 tbsp steak seasoning
olive oil
1 leek, chopped fine
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 to 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp steak seasoning split
1 - 2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 quart beef stock
1 lb. pasta - your choice, cooked per package directions.
flour
sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
Italian parsley chopped


Heat oil (enough to liberally coat bottom of a large oven proof skillet or brasier).  Add leeks and cook until softened.  Add garlic and mushrooms - you may have to add more oil to pan, and cook until softened.  Add meat and saute until meat is browned.  Add rest of steak seasoning, Italian seasoning,  and beef stock.  Stir to combine.

Cover pan and cook in a 300 degree oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  Remove from oven.  Add flour; combine until mixture is thickened to your likeness.  Add sour cream and parsley.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve over pasta.

I didn't put a lot of measurements for the ingredients, because I add until the taste is where I want it for my family.  I also used a whole grain pasta - it really holds up well in this recipe.  The steak seasoning I used is a very bold seasoning with a lot of pepper - adds a great punch to the dish that is a little mellowed by the sour cream.

I hope you all enjoy! This was an easy recipe to make.  There were leftovers, and dinner was enjoyed by all!

No comments: