Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Raspberry Corn Muffins

I wanted to make something for the boys this morning, since I didnt' have to work.  I had originally planned to make banana graham cracker muffins, but I didn't have enough graham crackers.  They are next on the agenda after a trip to the store.

I looked to my Good Housekeeping cookbook for inspiration.  That book always seems to have a recipe that sounds yummy.  I decided on the Blueberry Corn Muffins.  This past summer, my youngest developed a love for corn bread; I thought this was a great fit for him.

The muffins were great.  I used raspberries instead of blueberries, and mine were frozen, but they worked well.  The cornmeal added a coarser texture and an earthiness to the muffins that I really liked.

Blueberry Corn Muffins


1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup blueberries or raspberries

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease muffin tin or use muffin cups.  In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a small bowl, with fork, beat buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla until well blended.  Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).  Fold in berries.

2.  Spoon into prepared muffin tins.  Bake until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean - 20 to 25 minutes.  Immediately remove muffins from pan.  Cool on wire rack or serve warm.  Makes 12 muffins.

I hope if you have today to share with your family, you have great family time!

No comments: