Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Turkey and Noodle Soup or Turkey and Noodles - Using leftovers from Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is over and I have leftovers in my fridge!  I know; it is surprising.  Who would have thought that someone would make more food than people would eat on a holiday?

One of my main concerns with Thanksgiving leftovers is making something tasty and healthy.  While I didn't watch my carbs too much on the holiday, I do have to watch almost every other day.  My goal in making leftovers is to morph my turkey into something that is low carb, or at least good carbs.

The whole wheat pasta that I used has lots of fiber and is made with whole grains.  It was a great change actually from the regular pasta I used to use.  The whole grain pasta doesn't fall apart, because it is much more substantial.

Anyway, today I made turkey stock and Turkey Noodle Soup - a really thick soup.  Hubby likes stew, I like soup, so I try to compromise and make a thick soup.  Maybe I should actually call this Turkey and Noodles....whatever.  It made for a terrific meal!!!

For the stock, I cleaned out my produce drawers from Thanksgiving.

Turkey Stock - my version today

1 turkey carcass
3 stalks celery, chopped in large pieces
3 carrots, chopped in large pieces
1 onion, chopped in large pieces
1 turnip, chopped in large pieces
1 small bunch fresh sage
1 small bunch fresh thyme
5 cloves garlic - whole
2 tsp peppercorns

Place all ingredients in a large stock pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil, reduce and partially cover. Simmer for 2 hours.  Pull the carcass out and take off any meat.  Set aside.  Remove everything else from the stock and throw away.  Allow stock to cool.  Put in freezer safe containers and freeze.  Keep for up to three months.


Thick Turkey Noodle Soup or Turkey and Noodles - you choose

4 quarts turkey stock - thawed
8 oz, whole grain pasta - your choice
Leftover turkey from stock
Two tbsp Turkish seasoning - or steak seasoning of your choice
1 tbsp italian seasoning
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
One large bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1/8 to 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste

Thaw four quarts of stock and bring to a boil in a stock pot.  Add Italian seasoning and Turkish seasoning to stock.  Add pasta and cook until al dente.  While pasta is cooking, make a roux with the butter and flour.

Whisk the roux into the soup mixture.  Add turkey and heavy cream to soup.  Stir in parsley.  Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste.

This soup was totally yummy!  I added a lot of turkey to make it a really thick, stick to your ribs soup.  The cream, while not a lot, added a richness and creaminess to the soup.  It hit the spot.  I have been making turkey and noodles or chicken and noodles for years, and I personally think this batch is the best I have made so far.  Homey comfort food at its best.

I hope your holidays were wonderful!  Talk to you soon!!!

No comments: