Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pork Lettuce Wraps

It has been a long time since I posted, but I have been one busy girl.  Along with the boys' activities, I decided to go back to school and work on a graduate certificate in Holocaust Genocide Studies.  What a great experience that was.  I received my certificate in May, and I am ready to start blogging again.

Last week, I went out to dinner with one of my sons and a friend and her daughter.  We went to Wang Gang's in Edwardsville where she ordered the pork lettuce wraps.  They were very good, and I wanted to make them at home, but every recipe I looked at had one ingredient that I didn't have.

Since I had just cleaned out my fridge, and thrown away old jars of food that had been purchased for one recipe, I decided to make up a recipe with ingredients that I had on hand.  What follows is my first attempt at Pork Lettuce Wraps - pretty good, I think for a first try!


Pork Lettuce Wraps

1 tbsp oil - I used olive
2 lbs. ground pork
1 red pepper minced
1/2 red onion minced
4 coves garlic minced
1 tbsp ginger minced
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup beef stock
1/4 cup soy sauce
salt and pepper
lettuce - iceberg or bib

In a large skillet, saute garlic, ginger, pepeer and onion in oil until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
Remove from skillet.

Add pork, cook and crumble.  Drain excess fat.  Add veggies back to pan with stock and soy sauce.  Stir to combine.  Simmer and allow liquid to reduce by half.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with lettuce wraps - I find that bib lettuce works best, but I had iceberg, so that is what I used.  Next time, I will probably add more peppers and probably some green onions.  This was a winner in my house; all thought the wraps were very good.

No comments: