Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, July 26, 2013

Quick Spaghetti and Meatballs

My kids love Spaghetti and Meatballs - their grandma makes it for them a lot, but I usually don't.  Last night, after I got home late, I decided to make it for them.  It had been in my plan for the week, but I didn't want to spend a ton of time cooking, so I came up with this quick spaghetti sauce.  I hope you like it!

I used whole grain spaghetti and tomato strips that I blended with an immersion blender as my family really likes a smooth sauce, but your sauce can be as chunky as you want.  I also added Asiago cheese as a topper right before I served dinner.  That added just the right touch.

For the meatballs

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground sausage
1/2 to 3/4 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Combine all ingredients.  Make small meatballs - about 3/4 inch in diameter.  Place on a sheet tray covered with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes.

For sauce

2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
2 28 oz cans tomatoes

 In a large sauce pan, saute garlic in oil until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.  add dry seasonings, tomatoes and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Remove bay leaves, and blend with an immersion blender to desired consistency.

Pasta

Cook one pound of pasta according to packages directions.  Serve in a large pasta bowl combing sauce, pasta and meatballs.  Top with shredded Asiago cheese or your favorite cheese.  Serve hot!

No comments: